- English (13) (remove)
- An exact column-generation approach for the lot-type design problem (2012)
- We consider a fashion discounter distributing its many branches with integral multiples from a set of available lot-types. For the problem of approximating the branch and size dependent demand using those lots we propose a tailored exact column generation approach assisted by fast algorithms for intrinsic subproblems, which turns out to be very efficient on our real-world instances.
- The Integrated Size and Price Optimization problem (2012)
- We present the Integrated Size and Price Optimization Problem (ISPO) for a fashion discounter with many branches. Based on a two-stage stochastic programming model with recourse, we develop an exact algorithm and a production-compliant heuristic that produces small optimality gaps. In a field study we show that a distribution of supply over branches and sizes based on ISPO solutions is significantly better than a one-stage optimization of the distribution ignoring the possibility of optimal pricing.
- Computational Bounds for Elevator Control Policies by Large Scale Linear Programming (2013)
- We computationally assess policies for the elevator control problem by a new column-generation approach for the linear programming method for discounted infinite-horizon Markov decision problems. By analyzing the optimality of given actions in given states, we were able to provably improve the well-known nearest-neighbor policy. Moreover, with the method we could identify an optimal parking policy. This approach can be used to detect and resolve weaknesses in particular policies for Markov decision problems.