- English (13) (remove)
- The Integrated Size and Price Optimization problem (2012)
- We present the Integrated Size and Price Optimization Problem (ISPO) for a fashion discounter with many branches. Based on a two-stage stochastic programming model with recourse, we develop an exact algorithm and a production-compliant heuristic that produces small optimality gaps. In a field study we show that a distribution of supply over branches and sizes based on ISPO solutions is significantly better than a one-stage optimization of the distribution ignoring the possibility of optimal pricing.
- Computational Bounds for Elevator Control Policies by Large Scale Linear Programming (2013)
- We computationally assess policies for the elevator control problem by a new column-generation approach for the linear programming method for discounted infinite-horizon Markov decision problems. By analyzing the optimality of given actions in given states, we were able to provably improve the well-known nearest-neighbor policy. Moreover, with the method we could identify an optimal parking policy. This approach can be used to detect and resolve weaknesses in particular policies for Markov decision problems.
- The Stochastic Guaranteed Service Model with Recourse for Multi-Echelon Warehouse Management (2012)
- The Guaranteed Service Model (GSM) computes optimal order-points in multi-echelon inventory control under the assumptions that delivery times can be guaranteed and the demand is bounded. Our new Stochastic Guaranteed Service Model (SGSM) with Recourse covers also scenarios that violate these assumptions. Simulation experiments on real-world data of a large German car manufacturer show that policies based on the SGSM dominate GSM-policies.